Saturday, December 22, 2012

Christmas Quilts

Last year for Christmas I made a jeans quilt for Brian and I with Lorraine's help!
 I think it turned out great and wasn't too hard to do so I decided to get some of the jeans my mom has saved for years, including all my dad's old jeans to make a quilt for Craig and Holly for Christmas. I had to work quickly, but I made it in time for Christmas. 
That experience helped me to decide to make a jeans quilt this year for Christmas for David and Celeste and their family too. I used dad's jeans as well as jeans we all wore growing up. Some even had oil stains from getting loads of firewood and helping dad outside and painting. Smelling the denim while cutting and sewing brought back memories of stacking hay and riding horses and other childhood memories. 
This is the quilt for David and Celeste. I finished it a few weeks before Thanksgiving since that is when my family all got together to exchange gifts. 
 I love the design made on the back too, and if you look closely you can see that COOK spelled upside down and backwards still spells COOK. Pretty cool, huh?
I worked really hard and continued in the zone to make a jeans quilt for Mom too. After all, she'd saved all the jeans and I thought it would be nice for her to have a quilt made from Dad's jeans too! She knew I'd been working on David's, but had no idea I was making hers as well. She had told me she thought a pocket quilt would be fun. Thankfully my dad had big pockets and were a perfect size to fit in a block for a quilt.
 I enjoyed figuring out a pattern and even sewing on some of the Arizona Jean Company labels. There were a lot to choose from since that is the only brand Dad wore. 
 Can you spot the COOK in the pattern?
I made them in a matter of weeks and trying to stitch around the pattern instead of tying the quilt caused me to have very sore fingers for a few weeks, but it was so worth it!
 Maybe next year I'll start early and not rush in the month or two before Christmas. I still have lots of jeans left!

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

I'm so glad you documented your quilts. I'm afraid I haven't. It's nice to be able to see what you've made. They're all beautiful.