Friday, August 13, 2010

Peeking over the table

Elliott has gotten so good at pulling himself up on chairs that he is now reaching new heights. I was doing dishes and making cookies and Elliott was playing in the cabinets and with whatever else was on the floor. I turned around to see him munching a chocolate cookie that was on the table. (You can see the empty space on the cooling rack.) My little munchkin had suprised me by reaching up and pulling a cookie off the table.
Mmm, crumbly cookies. Actually any cookie becomes crumbled and sticky in a baby's hands.
Yum, pretty good - you might even say that my floor is so clean, you could eat off of it.
That was the cute part of the story, now comes the scary part. Last night I was hurrying to cook dinner before Brian got home, cutting up vegetables, cooking ravioli and chicken. This time when I turned to check on Elliott, he was sitting on the floor holding our very sharp knife. I froze, then immediately and carefully took the knife away and then checked for any bleeding appendages. Luckily he was holding the knife by the handle!! He did have one little pinpoint of blood right under his left eye where he held the blade up to his face. All I can say is that we are so lucky he didn't cut himself. And I have learned that it is critical not to leave anything dangerous near the edge of the table or counters. Cookies were cute an innocent, but knives are just plain scary. Yet another lesson in babyproofing.

1 comment:

Salena Ashton said...

That is so scary but I think it happens to all of us at least once. I'm glad he's okay; I'm even happier to see his quest for stealing cookies ended in success!