Thursday, October 15, 2015

Swimming lessons for Elliott

As part of Elliott's year-round school schedule, we go for 9 weeks, then get a 3-week break where we are off-track. Elliott's first off-track break started on September 19 and lasted until October 12. We didn't have big plans to occupy our time during this break, but I finally signed Elliott up for swimming lessons. The lessons were 3 days a week for 2 weeks and lasted 40 minutes long. Elliott was excited but a little nervous too. I tried prepping him by telling him he would put his face in the water and learn to float. Now, Elliott HATES getting his face wet so this was a concern. 

Also, before it was time to leave I told Elliott to get into his swimsuit. He wanted to know why. I said so he could go in and just get in the water and wouldn't need to change his clothes there. He wanted to know how I knew this was ok. I said I had seen kids go to swimming lessons and they wore their swimsuits and that I had taken swimming lessons too. He wanted names of kids that I had seen. He was so afraid that it wasn't a rule to wear your swimsuit and it embarrassed him that someone might see him wearing his swimsuit before the lesson. I finally convinced him it was acceptable and expected to come to the pool wearing your swimsuit. (Exhausting!) On the day of his first lesson, Brian was able to come too. Elliott looked so scared and nervous as he went with his group. But then as soon as they were in the water he relaxed. They were pretty far from the parents, but we could see his huge grin and see him bouncing in the water with excitement. 

Elliott and Brian right before lessons started.
 Elliott after his first lesson showing me how to fill up your cheeks with air before blowing bubbles in the water. 
 Elliott sitting in this awesome chair after repeatedly telling him it was ok for kids to sit there. 
(You would think he would trust me at some point, but he needs lots of reassurances.)
 On the way home from his lesson, Elliott was so excited. He had so much fun playing games in the water with the other 4 kids in his class. They learned how to spread their arms and legs like starfish and put their hands together like turtles. It was obvious they were having fun and just getting used to the water. 

Elliott kept saying how much he LOVED his swimming lesson! Then he said it was better than video games - it was like a video game--but you are IN IT! He was blown away and thrilled to be in swimming lessons. Then he asked me if I wished I was him, I replied that no, I didn't want to be him. Elliott then explained that if I were him, I could be in SWIMMING LESSONS! I replied back that if I were him, then I couldn't be his mommy, which is what I love. He still thinks he got the better deal.

I was surprised at his next lesson when he put his head in the water. He rubbed his eyes a lot after and hesitated and dunked in quickly, but he was so intent on doing what his teacher told him that he did it all by himself! I was proud and impressed! Trevor and I waited and watched during his lessons and Trevor wanted to crawl toward the pool so to distract him, we took selfies - he loves them!
 Elliott on the left by Jacob, his teacher. They would lie on their tummies in the shallow water with hands in front like rockets and put faces in the water for 2 counts then turn onto their backs and kick. 
 They ventured into deeper water to bounce and dunk their heads easier.
 Elliott's turn to be fishy in the basket where they circled around him singing, then he had to put his face in the water to get out.
 Practicing getting in and out of the pool.
Elliott did a great job and most importantly still loves swimming lessons. We made him practice putting his head under water in the bathtub at home. He passed preschool level 1 and is enrolled in preschool level 2 before he turns 6 in a few weeks and will have to start at level 1. We haven't taken him swimming a lot and so our goal is to take him more so he will be more comfortable in the water. 

Here is a video of Elliott on his last day of swimming lessons.

Way to go Elliott!
 It is a joy to see him learning new things and soaking in new experiences!

No comments: