Saturday, November 21, 2009

Elliott

Elliott is still at the University hospital for now. But that will change soon, hopefully next week. Elliott had another echocardiogram on Friday to see if the nitric, oxygen and sildenafil could bring the pressures down in his heart. It didn't get any better though. So at this point the next step is for the cardiologists at Primary Childrens to do a cardiac catheterization to find out where the pressures are highest and where the problem is. The tricky part has been that the doctors cannot see why he even has pulmonary hypertension. So hopefully next week Elliott will be transferred over to Primarys for that procedure and then he will stay in the NICU there and not come back to the U. They haven't scheduled the cath yet and so we're not sure it will really happen before Thanksgiving. But after the cath, the doctors should have a better idea at what medications to try next. We are resigned that he may be in the hospital for at least several more weeks. Maybe he can come home for Christmas. Other than that, he looks so healthy and is eating well and is very alert and watchful. I find that when I get overwhelmed with it all, I just need to hold him and I know everything will be ok. He is growing every day and we are grateful we can be with him every day too.

He had his hearing test done on Friday as well. Here he is trying to sleep through it. This is one test he passed with flying colors!

Here Brian is changing his diaper. Elliott is very patient with his dad. And Brian does such a good job! He is very willing to be a part of everything.

Elliott is getting stronger and doesn't always fall asleep after eating. Here Brian is burping him and Elliott is just too cute!
The March of Dimes organization is awesome! They have provided bookshelves of books to read to the little babies in the NICU. Our favorite so far is "If You Give a Moose a Muffin" by Laura Numeroff and Felicia Bond. And here Brian is reading Dr. Seuss' "There's a Wocket in My Pocket." After discovering that lots of kids books rhyme, I brought in a book of poems and also shared my favorite poems with Elliott. He loves them I am sure.
So we are getting a lot of good experiences from this adventure. It is really hard and I cry a lot, but it is also amazing and I wouldn't trade Elliott for anything.
"Why can't every day be just this good?"



6 comments:

RhubarbLady said...

He looks bigger and healthier in every post-hang in there-he'll be home soon and you'll have years and years together. We love you and our prayers are with you!
Trisha and the girls

Anonymous said...

Dejah,

I'm praying for you. He's so beautiful - he just looks perfect. Hopefully they can find out what's causing it and get your little guy home. :) I admire your strength in what is surely a trying situation.

Catherine said...

Elliot is just so darn cute. I love the picture of him being burped. His face is just so precious.

Salena Ashton said...

I love the picture of Brian changing diapers!

Michele said...

This is the first we have known and have Elliot and the both of you in our prayers. Love you all so much.

Michele said...

He is BEAUTIFUL Dejah!