Friday, May 18, 2012

Mothers Day Project

This last weekend almost all of my siblings were able to be at my mom's house for Mothers Day. It was fun to have everyone together and to all go to church where we grew up. We now take up multiple benches and its fun to be back home.

Brian and I went up Friday night to help out with a project for my mom. She bought landscaping bricks to make flower beds under the front and back windows. We thought that would make a fun project. So Saturday, Keith and Rachael, and Brian and I, and Brad and mom tackled rolling up the sod.It is tough work to dig out sod! Luckily most of the morning we were in the shade.
 After getting all the grass out and leveling the dirt, we laid down the black thingy (I never know the technical names, but I still know what I'm doing most of the time.) Then we used the riding lawnmower and trailer to load and transport the bricks over. Keith is the genius who rounded the corner and broke one of the bricks perfectly down the middle for the end.
 TA-DA! I think it looks great!
 Elliott and Peyton were bored in the playpen we put up to keep them from wandering over to the ditch.
 It's too bright and hot to smile.
 Peyton is ready to break out of her jail. She came over to help her mom and dad and soon she started growling. Rachael  figured out that she was mimicking Keith grunting while cutting out the sod.
Peyton also got the giggles watching her daddy shoveling dirt into the trailer. Keith commented that she made the work go by much faster. With encouragement like that, you could work all day and have fun.

The fun part of the project was in driving the riding lawnmower back and forth to fill the trailer with bricks and then with dirt.
Everyone got a turn, but Keith was the driving force (ha ha, get it?)
Brian pulling Elliott in the empty trailer.
Elliott took this picture of Brian - I forget how small his persepctive is. I love getting glimpses of how Elliott sees the world. And it's a nice reminder that Elliott looks up to us, literally.
I got a few turns driving as well. It was fun but it doesn't go very fast.
Keith gave Elliott and Peyton long rides on the road on the way out to the pasture for more dirt. It must be so fun to be a kid!
It was a long day, but we enjoyed working together and helping my mom with her project. My mom is one tough lady and could've done this job all on her own over the course of the summer, but I'm glad she let us help. My mom is incredible and I hope that I inherited some of her traits and strengths.
Happy Mothers Day Mom.
Thanks for everything!

No comments: