Monday, July 9, 2012

Cause for Panic

This afternoon I have been working on the back patio sanding down the top of a wooden desk. Elliott has been coming and going, but mostly watching cartoons on disneyjr.com in the house. I got up to come in to check on Elliott and switch over the laundry load. I turned the door handle, but it wouldn't open. Elliott has this little habit of locking the door when he comes inside. Hmmm, I thought - great! I'm locked out. I knocked on the door and called out Elliott's name. Nothing. I peeked through the glass and this is what I saw:
Ok, so now this is not good. Elliott is asleep in the kitchen and I am locked outside. But wait! we have a spare key hidden outside for the front door. Then my heart plummeted again as I realized that I had locked the child safety bolt on the front door to prevent Elliott from going out front while I was in the back. So now I couldn't get in through that door either. I knocked and called out Elliott's name, but he was really sleeping. I thought maybe I would just wait outside until Elliott woke up or Brian returned home from work. But I didn't like that idea and Elliott didn't look that comfortable, even though he had moved a pillow onto his chair before he fell asleep.

Luckily for me I had opened the large living room window so that I could hear Elliott in the house. I also happened to have a large screwdriver that helped me to pry off the screen. I opened the window the rest of the way, crawled in onto the couch and felt proud of myself for not freaking out, but very sheepish that I had allowed my 2 1/2 year old to lock me out. I then took Elliott's picture to document this moment and then moved him onto the couch to finish his nap.

I will now not step out if any doors in my house without a set of keys in my pocket. It felt horrible knowing I was locked out and Elliott was inside all by himself. Luckily I was able to get in very quickly. Elliott also has this little habit of falling asleep in strange places. However if I try to get him to lay down for a nap, it never works. Yesterday after church, Brian and I were upstairs and Elliott was in the living room playing with his cars. I came downstairs about 20 minutes later to find Elliott sound asleep in the middle of the hard-wood kitchen floor. I started laughing and made Brian come look at how and where Elliott was sleeping. I transferred him to the couch then too. I guess we'll take his naps whenever they come. And I am just happy to be indoors again.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so scary! I am glad that you got in safety.
I, too, have been locked out of my house while my 2 year old was in the house and another kid was inside. I didn't have a spare hidden- I pleaded with those kids to let me in and how to "unlock" that darn door!

Ben Stuart said...

Glad you were able to get back in so quickly!

Salena Ashton said...

That is very scary! I'm glad Elliott was okay.