Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Desk project

Last winter, Brian's mom Lorraine gave us a little desk and chair for Elliott to use. It was very old and the paint was chipped and the wood was all scratched and I had big plans to fix it up. Thanks to a few tips found on Pinterest and a lot of spare time this summer, I was able to do it just as I hoped. I took off the desk top and sanded it down, stained and selaed it. I couldn't figure out how to remove the wood back and seat from the chair, so I worked on it whole. Then I bought some spray paint (I needed 2 whole cans, but only started off with one and late Saturday night ran out of paint and had to wait until Monday morning to finish painting. Frustrating!) Then by Monday night the paint was dry and I reassembled the desk and Voila!
I didn't take a before picture, but I did find this picture right after we brought the desk home back in January.
 I am very pleased that it looks very nice, but mostly I am proud that I did it all myself. Ha! A sense of accomplishment feels pretty darn good. Elliott really likes his desk too.
 Elliott is so good at posing and saying cheese. He is so sweet! It's just hard for him to sit still for very long.
 As a special treat to celebrate, Elliott got to eat lunch in the living room at his new desk.
 Brian told me not to post a ton of pictures of Elliott since I took about 25 of him sitting at the desk, but each one is super cute and unique and well, I think you all want to see them too. But I limited myself and in this last one he looks so mature and grown-up for this 2 years and 8 months and 12 day old little man.
 Speaking of looking grown-up, here's a picture from the library last week. Elliott and I were picking out and reading picture books while Brian browsed the nerd section (I mean science and math books.) Elliott wanted to read sitting at the table so I told him to go ahead. When I saw him sitting so attentively at this mini-kid table, I wanted to cry and burst with pride at the same time.
Elliott is growing up so fast and I love how imaginative and energetic and happy he is. I love being his whole world and spending all my time with him. Even with trials and uncertainty and unfairness of life, my life is still so blessed and wonderful. And I can do hard things. 

2 comments:

Kevin Ashton said...

The desk looks so cute. You've done such a nice job. And this pirate thing, I'm afraid I've missed it entirely. He is turning into such a little boy and not just a toddler any more. He's cute.

Lorraine said...

Actually it was Lorraine that just made that last comment. When it posted I'm going "what happened?" Then I realized that Kevin had logged into his g-mail account and left it; I changed it back to my account. Maybe you already noticed because what I wrote doesn't sound like a Kevin comment.