Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Sleepless

Fortunately, most nights, Trevor and Elliott sleep peacefully through the night, allowing Brian and I to sleep blissfully through the night too. Not so last night.  It started out being my fault, I had taken a late nap the day before and so stayed up late playing on my phone-I wasn't even reading!! After a few short hours of sleep, Trevor woke up crying at 3:30 am. I got up ad nursed him back to sleep, now thinking he would sleep until 8 or 9. Ugh-5 am and Trevor is crying. I lay in bed wondering if he'll cry himself back to sleep. His crying hasn't intensified telling me he hasn't rolled over and gotten stuck on his tummy, so I just let him cry for a bit. Then he starts coughing and so I get up. Elliott is wide awake too and scared. He joins me in Trevor's room. Elliott heard scary noises in the kitchen. I feed Trevor for a bit, then Trevor grunts and screeches excitedly at Elliott. 

Now I can hear a chair being pushed around the kitchen and go down to investigate. Our kitty is chasing a moth all around the kitchen, knocking into chairs and jumping on the table. Noisy kitty! Last summer we solved the Mystery of the Dead Moth - every morning in the same spot on the living room floor was a dead moth. I found it odd that moths were somehow getting into our home and dying in the same spot. We soon figured out that Daisy Kitty was catching them and leaving them there for us. Luckily she only brought in 1 dead bird. Yesterday morning I saw a dead moth on the floor outside our bedroom door. It must officially be Summer now that Daisy is once again offering us her moths. And now this morning her moth catching routine had woken and scared Elliott. 

So as I rock Trevor in his room with Elliott curled up on the spare toddler bed, I am checking facebook on my phone. Elliott says longingly, "I wish I had something electric." (I love that he says "electric" instead of "electronic." Someday we'll have to correct him, but for now it is cute!) I hand over my phone so he can play quietly in hopes that if Trevor doesn't hear Elliott talking, he may fall back to sleep. It turns out there is a reason for Trevor's wakefulness and he soon fills his diaper rather loudly. I wait for him to finish, then change his diaper. Now the sky is getting lighter and birds are chirping very loudly. At 5:30 am! 

It's time for sleep and it ain't happening with this party we have going on in here. I send Elliott back to his bed with my phone so he can play on it since Trevor is so loud that it would keep Elliott awake too. I lay Trevor down in his crib with a teething toy and retreat to my room. Now am listening to his baby sounds as he coos and plays happily in his bed. As soon as he falls asleep, I will retrieve my phone and hope Elliott goes back to sleep as well, or he will be a grumpy monster all day.

In spite of the few hours of sleep, I love being a mom! These 2 kids amaze and delight me every day and in the night too! I am trying to cherish this time with them and hopefully by writing this down, I can remember why I am tired today so I don't turn into a grumpy monster too! 

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Good job at handling the morning's excitement!