Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Reid Park Zoo

Brian had to work on Thursday. That was the main purpose of our trip after all! I had thought of going to a children's museum with the boys, but with 75 degree weather, we wanted to enjoy it! So we went to the zoo! We arrived by 9:45 and headed in. Right at the entrance, we saw peacocks.
 Elliott's favorite animal is the giraffe, he owns over a dozen stuffed giraffes and brought 2 on the trip. It was amazing that as we neared the giraffes, they were allowing people to feed the giraffes! It was $3 and oh so worth it! 
Elliott paid his $3 and got some carrot sticks. A worker had to show him how to hold it and here came the giraffe's long tongue.
Closer still....
And the curl-up! WOW!

 Elliott's face says it all! 
(And the greedy giraffe behind him looks like she wants to eat his hat.)
 That was incredible and may be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Then we passed by the camels where they were offering camel rides for $7. At first I said no, but then thought better of it. When would Elliott get a chance like this again? There was no waiting line and it seemed too good to pass up, so Elliott rode a camel. 
As he was riding, I told him to look down. It was a long way down and Elliott loved it!
After those thrills, we just enjoyed the zoo. We saw a giant turtle, then the boys climbed on a turtle bench.
 Also, in the play area, Elliott tried on a turtle shell.
 It may not be a teenage mutant ninja turtle, but he is a 7-year-old-awesome ninja turtle at that!
 Trevor tries to do all his big brother does and crawled through the shell too! (Trevor really really wanted to ride the camel too, but he was too little.)
 In the kids discovery center, Elliott was drawing a turtle and was waving at it so he could see its head better. Trevor was just scribbling. 
 We stopped for a drink break and Trevor didn't want his sippy cup, he wanted Elliott's gatorade. It was full and as I was helping him drink I thought he looked adorable. So I took a picture while helping.
 On the third picture, I accidentally tipped the bottle up, dousing Trevor in gatorade. He was not a fan. Luckily, I had a change of clothes for Trevor.
 I couldn't get over all the cacti! Here is some in front of the giraffe enclosure. 
 And no, Miss Giraffe, we don't have any more carrots for you!
 Next we saw the elephants. But first (and every other time he saw dirt and rocks) Trevor played in the dirt. 
 They have a baby elephant too! It was strange to see the elephants in front of palm trees. This was definitely not the Hogle Zoo.
 Trevor and I watching the elephants. 
 Elliott tried to ride this cute little elephant.
 And kept trying....
 I finally lifted him up and Trevor as well.
 We also really like seeing the anteaters - those creatures are much bigger than I expected! We had fun and even bought a small camel for a Christmas tree ornament (a tradition.)
 Trevor ran toward the carousel and was so excited that I was willing to spend another $6 for them to ride. But as we approached, we were told someone had paid for more people to ride so we got to ride for free. It was a nice surprise! Elliott chose the crocodile.
 And I put Trevor on this guy, even though I have no idea what it is. But it went up and down and round and round so it was perfect!

 We left at 12:45. There was a Mcdonald's across the street and also a huge park. So we went through the drive-thru and had a picnic lunch. Then it was time to play!
 Trevor wanted to follow Elliott so badly and kept calling, "Mommy help."
 Elliott kept close and played with Trevor enough.

 Trevor is a pro at climbing the stairs and sliding down. Over and over.
We left at 1:30 pm and Trevor fell asleep in the car on the way back to the hotel. I transferred him to the room and he slept for 2 hours. Elliott played on the computer and I read/napped. It was a great day and we were ready for Brian to come back and enjoy the vacation too.

No comments: