Our kids have always called us Mommy and Daddy. Trevor seems to skip the middle sound of words so he has called us "Mo-ee" and "Da-ee." He is getting better and can now say Mommy and Daddy, but he says his own name "Tre-or" and it sounds like "chair." But we are not concerned about his speech right now. Last night as I was tucking Elliott into bed, he said he was going to start calling me, "Mom." This was a shock, but I played it cool and said, "Sure, why are you going to do that?" His response: "It's time to grow up a little bit." I nodded my head said goodnight and he replied, "Goodnight Mom."
I walked out of his room grinning and a little sad. I have been Mommy for so long and Mom sounds a little intimidating. I told Brian all about it and he was a bit sad that Elliott is growing up. This marks an end of an era. Am I ready to be just Mom? No more little shrieks of "Mommmyyy" and snuggles? Because I know this: if Elliott calls me mom, his little mimic Trevor will start calling me Mom.
Tonight at bedtime, Brian brought it up and asked Elliott about this mom stuff. Elliott said, "Yep, it's time to grow up." Noooo! What about Peter Pan and never wanting to grow up? What is the hurry?? Elliott also explained that it seemed babyish for a 7-year-old to still call his parents Mommy and Daddy. He was so matter-of-fact about it all. As he called Brian, "Dad," Brian made a motion of a knife stabbing his heart. (Don't worry, Elliott couldn't see. We don't want to make Elliott feel bad about growing up.) But this seems like a milestone for us. Elliott loves snuggles and cuddles and he is tender and innocent. He is halfway through first grade and getting ready to turn 8 and be baptized. He is growing up before our very eyes!
No comments:
Post a Comment