Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Baking helper

I started making a banana cake this afternoon and Trevor saw me get out the flour bowl and he came running. He loves scooping things and especially flour and sugar. I have learned in the past that his scoopfuls are never full and never consistent. One scoop will be 1/2 full and the next 1/4 or 2/3. So this time I held the 1 cup scoop and gave him the 1/3 cup scoop. That way he could scoop over and over, filling my scoop to be added to the mixture. 
Trevor discovered how "soft" flour feels to the skin and quickly decided it was more fun to scoop with his hand instead of his scoop. So now the process became handful after handful to fill his scoop which he dumped into my scoop until we finally had 2 1/2 cups of flour. I let him play in the flour for a few minutes before putting it away. 
 Cooking can be fun....but very important to wash your hands first!
 "See, here is my scoop!"
 He has such flair for dropping flour. And a flair for making a mess. 
 Trevor's next favorite part of baking is to lick the spatula when we are done. He loves cheesecake, pudding, muffin dough, whipped cream, brownie batter and of course banana cake. 
 When he finished off the spoon he wanted more and was disappointed it went into the cake pan and into the oven. 
I dusted him off and cleaned up the mess. The extra clean-up was totally worth my adorable little helper getting to bake with me. He is an excellent banana masher as well, but I have to have extra bananas on hand since he has to sample some of his mashings. 
And the banana cake was superb!

No comments: