Friday, January 27, 2012

Reading

It's no secret that I love reading. And Brian loves reading too. Sometimes we have a cozy evening where we sit quietly together, each reading our own book. Well, Elliott is cut from the same cloth and loves reading his books. In fact, when he was in the bubble bath a few weeks ago, he kept asking for a book since he knows mommy likes to read books in her bubble bath. :) So now he has a water-proof book for his bath too. I love it when Elliott brings me books to read to him.

Part of his bedtime routine with daddy has included reading a few books, always ending with Goodnight Moon. After several weeks of this routine, I had Elliott read Goodnight Moon to his Tigger puppet and he actually knew what most of the pages said. It was so adorable!

In the mornings when I work out, shower and get ready for the day, Elliott wanders around and finds something to amuse himself. Most of the time, when I go looking for him, I find him in his room, reading his books all by himself.

This is the best book ever, including Cars, Toy Story and Nemo. What more could a little need desire?

Oh no! This book is almost too exciting!

And on this page, Elliott can name all his Cars friends. For some reason Fillmore is his favorite after Lightning McQueen and Mater.

We've gotten lots of our kids books from library sales like this next book Emergency, which has pages featuring police cars, ambulances, fire engines, helicoptors, rescue boats and more. Really fun to make the sounds for each vehicle!

From Elliott's face, I think this is the airplane page.

Elliott really finds books exciting and that makes me so happy and proud.

Cheese!

Some of Elliott's favorite books have included That's Not My Train (an Usborne book) I'm Not Scared by Jonathan Allen, Where's Waldo by Martin Handford, Goodnight Moon and Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown, several Look and Find books and Pingo by Brandon Mull.


With Pingo and all other books, Elliott identifies the characters as Mommy, Daddy or Elliott. Everything can be broken down into those elements. Someone driving a car is Mommy or Daddy and any child is Elliott. It is precious to me how Elliott sees everything in the world in relation to his family. Brian opened our Goldilocks and Three Bears book and asked Elliott who was on the page. Elliott replied, "Mommy bear, Daddy bear and Elliott bear." He has even assigned the dinoaurs in his dinoaur puzzle and Mommy, Daddy and Elliott. He is so wise for one so little.

1 comment:

RhubarbLady said...

Sniff, wiping away tears of joy, I'm so proud of you! I have pictures of our children reading when they were Elliott's age and they are all still avidly reading today. My 10 year old has already read 150 pages into the book "Pie" by Sarah Weeks that I just brought home this afternoon from the library.

I'm grateful that we're teaching our children the joy of books and that they won't be completely "plugged in". Working at the library, I'm reassured for the future when parents pick out books too and not just let their kids get DVDs.